Hekman Library Quick Facts for Students
Q: How long may I keep items from the library?
- A: Normally two weeks (see this page for details)
Q: How many items may I have out at one time?
- A: 50 books at a time; 5 media items at a time
Q: What do you charge for late items?
- A: 3 day grace period, 4th day $1.00, additional days .25/day
Q: What's the quietest study floor?
- A: There are quiet "zones" marked on each floor. Most students say that 5th floor is the best for quiet study.
Q: May I eat and drink in the library?
- A: Certain foods may be eaten on 2nd floor away from the computers. Food is not allowed on floors 3, 4 and 5. Drinks may be consumed on all floors if containers have lids.
Q: Are computers & printers available in the library?
- A: Yes! We have the Digital Research Center (DRC) on the 2nd floor, with two printers and 22 computers. We also have computers and printers on the other floors.
Q: Are there job openings in the library?
- A: There may be. The library has at least 9 supervisors and hires about 40 students each semester. Our student workers tend to come back year after year. Fill out a job application and find out what's available.
Q: Do you have "just-for-fun" reading?
- A: We do! We have a recreational reading collection on the 3rd floor with lots of current, popular, award-winning authors featured. Come and have a look.
Watch one of the Research Desk Assistants talk about her impressions of the library - study spaces, the personality of each floor, and more.