Environmentally Friendly Shopping and Eating
The greater Grand Rapids area offers some good options for local produce and participation in CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture):
- Groundswell Community Farms in Zeeland (organic; 2017 CSA shares available)
- Lubbers Family Farm along the Grand River, S.W. Grand Rapids
- New City Urban Farm, Creston neighborhood in Grand Rapids' NE side (CSA shares available)
- William Bos Greenhouse and Farm on Spaulding Rd., SE Grand Rapids
- Rakowski Family Farm and Market in Wayland, with a storefront on E. Fulton, Grand Rapids
- Heffron Farms in Belding with markets on Plainfield, Cascade, and Clyde Park (all in Grand Rapids)
- Post Family Farm in Hudsonville
The Hekman Library has many resources on the importance of ecologically responsible food systems, sustainable agriculture, and eating/shopping "local." Try subject headings "Family farms," "Local foods," and "Sustainable agriculture." Then limit those headings by geographical area, if you like.
One author we heartily recommend on these topics is Wendell Berry. Sample some of his essays in the book Bringing it to the Table: on Farming and Food.