Rare Book Use Policy
- The Hekman Library Rare Books collection is accessible to all adult patrons of the library who have a legitimate need to use them.
- Rare books may be used only between the hours of 8:30 am to 5:00 pm on weekdays and 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm on Saturdays (summer hours are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, no Saturdays). Books must be returned by 4:45 pm.
- A patron may use only one rare book title at a time.
- The librarian will inspect the rare book prior to use and the book will be checked when returned to ensure that the item has not been damaged during use. Any damage to a rare book may result in a substantial fine plus cancellation of rare book privileges.
- The rare book may be used only in the reading rooms of Heritage Hall or the Meeter Center. The librarian will accompany the patron and checked-out rare book to the appropriate reading room.
- Patrons taking notes while using a rare book may use only a pencil.
- Photocopying any portions of a rare book is generally prohibited, and may be done only with permission of a librarian.
- When a patron is finished with a rare book, the rare book, as well as the patron's papers and book bag or briefcase may be inspected to ensure that the book is undamaged and that library materials are not removed.
- Rare books may not be interlibrary loaned