The Directory of Open Access Journals does not charge users for access to articles. All journals in the Directory of Open Access Journals allow users unlimited access and rights.
From the DOAJ website, journals are included according to selection criteria including:
- Subject: all scientific and scholarly subjects are covered
- Types of resource: scientific and scholarly periodicals that publish research or review papers in full text.
- Acceptable sources: academic, government, commercial, non-profit private sources are all acceptable.
- Level: the target group for included journals should be primarily researchers.
- Content: a substantive part of the journal should consist of research papers. All content should be available in full text.
- All languages