The Presidents of Calvin College
When the Theological School of the Christian Reformed Church opened in 1876, it had one instructor, whose title was Docent and was in charge of the school's day-to-day affairs. As other instructors, also called docents, joined the staff, the title Rector was applied to the person in charge of daily affairs. When the literary curriculum was added in 1894, the head of the Literary section went by the title of Principal, while the head of the Religious section was called the Rector. The office of College President was created in 1918 to replace the office of Principal. The seminary head remained the Rector until 1931, when that title also was changed to Seminary President.