Guests and Alumni
Connecting to the Internet
Wireless access for guests is free. You may connect your device(s) to Calvin Guest using either an existing login from one of your social media accounts or your phone number. Instructions and information can be found on the Information Technology Department web site.
The Hekman Library has wireless access throughout the building. Other areas on campus also offer wireless coverage.
Guest User Card
Guests who wish to check out materials from Hekman Library may purchase a Guest User card for $20, good for six months. High school students may check out books for no charge, but they must apply for a Guest User Card. Cards are available at the main (2nd floor) Circulation Desk.
Users who are exempt from the guest card fee include: Calvin University and Calvin Theological Seminary faculty, emeriti, staff, Calvin and high school students, CALL members, and alumni. Spouses and dependent children of Calvin faculty and staff can also be exempt from the fee at the request of the employed faculty or staff member.
- The Guest User card does not include remote access to the library's Research Databases, but guests are welcome to use these resources in person at our public computers.
- Guests may access their library account online, using their card's barcode number as username and password.
- If a card is missing or lost a new card must be purchased.
Contact Carla Moyer Hotz, Circulation Coordinator, with questions or for more information.
Login Instructions for Guests
Alumni Online ResourcesHekman Library provides remote access to the following research databases for all alumni of Calvin University and Calvin Theological Seminary:
- Project MUSE
Project MUSE offers full-text current and archival articles from 600+ scholarly journals from major university presses.
ATLASerials is an online full-text collection of major religion and theology journals.
To access these resources when not on Calvin's campus, login to your library account on the catalog (using your entire library card barcode, including leading zeros, as both username and password) and open the "Alumni Resources" tab. You must open a resource from that page to be given access when off-campus.
If you need an Alumni library card, email the circulation staff with the subject of "Alumni Account Request". Include your name and your Calvin graduation year, and if available your 7-digit student ID number.
Alumni Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Alumni may request up to five (5) ILL items per year. If you are enrolled at another institution, we ask that you use that institution's ILL service.
Guests should use their local public libraries or the services offered by the educational institutions where they are enrolled. The purchase of a guest user card at Hekman does not include Interlibrary Loan service.
This service (also known as CRC Minister's Loan) is extended to ministers and retired pastors in the Christian Reformed Church (based on the current CRC Yearbook) who wish to check out books from Hekman Library.
- This service applies only to books. The following may not be checked out: periodicals, microforms, sound recordings, or books in special collections (such as the Meeter Center or Heritage Hall).
- Items will be immediately recalled if a Calvin student or faculty member has need of them.
- This service also does not apply to remote access to the library's databases (other than those provided for alumni).
All computers throughout the library are available for non-Calvin patrons to use in accordance with the Hekman Library Computer Access Policy. Computers are located on every floor:
- Three on the 2nd (main) floor on the counter opposite the Research Desk (location will be changing soon)
- Four on the 3rd floor next to the Circulation Desk
- Four on the 4th floor in various locations
- Four on the 5th floor in various locations
Printing is available from all floors. See our printing policy for details.