Guests and Alumni
Connecting to the Internet
Wireless access for guests is free. You may connect your device(s) to Calvin Guest using either an existing login from one of your social media accounts or your phone number. Instructions and information can be found on the Information Technology Department web site.
The Hekman Library has wireless access throughout the building. Other areas on campus also offer wireless coverage.
Guest User Card
Guests who wish to check out materials from Hekman Library may purchase a Guest User card for $20, good for six months. High school students may check out books for no charge, but they must apply for a Guest User Card. Cards are available at the main (2nd floor) Circulation Desk.
Users who are exempt from the guest card fee include: Calvin University and Calvin Theological Seminary faculty, emeriti, staff, Calvin and high school students, CALL members, and alumni. Spouses and dependent children of Calvin faculty and staff can also be exempt from the fee at the request of the employed faculty or staff member.
More information on borrowing privileges, loan periods for specific library collections, and fines. Please note:
- The Guest User card does not include remote access to the library's Research Databases, but guests are welcome to use these resources in person at our public computers.
- Guests may access their library account online, using their card's barcode number as username and password.
- If a card is missing or lost a new card must be purchased.
Contact Carla Moyer Hotz, Circulation Coordinator, with questions or for more information.
Login Instructions for Guests
Alumni Online Resources
Calvin alumni can access:
- Project MUSE for Alumni
Full-text current and archival articles from 600+ scholarly journals of major university presses.
- ATLASerials for Alumni
Online full-text collection of major religion and theology journals.
- Anchor Yale Bible Commentaries and Dictionary for Alumni
Anchor Yale Bible Commentaries: span over 86 volumes, comprising a long-running scholarly commentaries series for biblical studies scholars.
Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary: 6-volume Bible dictionary offering current and comprehensive treatment of biblical subjects and topics.
Get an Alumni Card / Reactivate Your Account
If you need an Alumni library card or to reactivate your account:
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enter Alumni Account Request as the subject
- Include your
- Calvin graduation year
- 7-digit student ID number (if available)
Alumni Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Alumni may request up to five (5) ILL items per year. If you are enrolled at another institution, we ask that you use that institution's ILL service.
Guests should use their local public libraries or the services offered by the educational institutions where they are enrolled. The purchase of a guest user card at Hekman does not include Interlibrary Loan service.
This service (also known as CRC Minister's Loan) is extended to ministers and retired pastors in the Christian Reformed Church (based on the current CRC Yearbook) who wish to check out books from Hekman Library.
More info on Denominational Loan borrowing privileges, loan periods for specific library collections, and fines. Please note:
- This service applies only to books. The following may not be checked out: periodicals, microforms, sound recordings, or books in special collections (such as the Meeter Center or Heritage Hall).
- Items will be immediately recalled if a Calvin student or faculty member has need of them.
- This service also does not apply to remote access to the library's databases (other than those provided for alumni).
Contact Theological Librarian Anne Harrison for assistance with this service.
All computers throughout the library are available for non-Calvin patrons to use in accordance with the Hekman Library Computer Access Policy. Computers are located on every floor:
- One on the 2nd (main) floor outside of the Rhetoric Center
- Four on the 3rd floor next to the Circulation Desk
- Four on the 4th floor in various locations
- Four on the 5th floor in various locations
Printing is available from all floors. See our printing policy for details.
Other information you may find helpful:
- High School Users (and School Visits)
- Campus Maps
- Library Maps
- Research Assistance (also for other general questions)
- Suite of video tutorials introducing you to the library