Professor Debra Rienstra's Refugia Faith
Calvin English professor, Debra Rienstra, has published a new book with Fortress Press titled Refugia Faith: Seeking Hidden Shelters, Ordinary Wonders, and the Healing of the Earth. This recent publication was reviewed in The Christian Century, June 15.
Rienstra asks “How must we adapt Christian spirituality and practice in order to become healers of this damaged earth?” The answer she gives is that we must become better citizens. The proverbial 'they' will not think of something. She writes: "‘They’ is us. ‘They’ is me.'"
Other newer books with the same themes of earthkeeping (healing) and human responsibility, from a perspective of faith:
- Stewards of Eden: What Scripture Says About the Environment, and Why It Matters (Ministry Resource Center)
- The Gardener's Dirty Hands: Environmental Politics and Christian Ethics (by Calvin's Provost, Noah Toly)
- For the Beauty of the Earth: a Christian Vision of Creation Care
- Saving Us: a Climate Scientist's Case for Hope and Healing in a Divided World
- Hope in the Age of Climate Change: Creation Care This Side of the Resurrection
And for more inspiration, tune into the Refugia podcast, hosted by Debra Rienstra.