We are looking forward to welcoming the Calvin community back to campus! Hekman Library will operate differently this fall, but our goal is to continue to serve your teaching, learning, and research needs. Please read the summary below of our Safe Return phase, or for more information on other planned phases, see this page.
If you have other questions, you may also want to consult our FAQs or contact us via our Live Chat service on the library homepage.
Library Reopening Phase 2 Starts August 24
Planned: August 24-October 4, November 30-December 23
- Masks and social distancing required.
- Main (2nd) floor available for a limited number of users. Upper floors (3rd-5th) closed.
- Peet’s is grab-n-go. Café seating will not be available.
- Building access requires campus ID through main entrance. Access provided to university and seminary students, faculty, and staff. No drop-in guests, alumni, or visiting patrons.
- Hours: M-Th 7:30 am-9:30 pm, Fri 7:30 am-6 pm, Sat 1 pm-5 pm.
- Vulnerable populations may access the main floor from 11 am-1 pm on Saturdays.
- 4th floor is available to seminary students with scheduled carrel or appointment.
- Appointments required for Heritage Hall and the Meeter Center.
- Soft seating will not be available.
- Study space is severely limited. 48 study spaces are available on the 2nd floor (some reservable, others for short-term use). Reservable spaces include 5 study rooms available for individual users.
- Library users will wipe down their workspace prior to use with available supplies to maintain a healthy environment.
- Library or campus-initiated events will not be hosted or planned for Hekman.
- If required, rollback phase would close off access to the building, return to by-appointment access to archival and rare resources, and continue providing access to the physical collection via requests and retrievals (Phase 1).
Requesting and Returning Materials
Requests for materials from the library's general collection may be made using the library’s online catalog and its hold functionality. Once you've placed the hold, you will receive an e-mail with further instructions about pick-up.
You may return materials using the library's dropboxes at any time.
If you have questions about requesting or returning materials, or other questions about your library account, please contact us on Live Chat or call us (616-526-7197) to speak with our Access Services staff. (Or watch this video from our Phase 1 Reopening!)